Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Monday, March 30, 2015
• Rode the exercise bike for 1/2 hour.
• No music practice today. Of musical note is my friend telling me about the Herb Albert concert he went to recently. Sounds like Mr. Albert is a great guy. I remember listening to THE LONELY BULL album my parents bought when I was a kid.
• Listened to a beautiful song today: EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS by Supertramp. Told my son about how the clarinet at the song's beginning makes me feel "nostalgic" (a word he uses to describe some music he hears that reminds him of when he was younger).
• Ain't this cool.....during a text conversation with my older daughter, she sent me this:
"You make me SO happy dad ❤️ love you!"
Sunday, March 29, 2015
• It's now 11:48 AM and we will be practicing at about 12:00 to play two Easter Masses next week. One of the group members will play a large harp that sounds great. I believe he'll play "Morning Has Broken" at the least, with it. My main contribution other than being the guitar player, will be lead vocals on "Oh Mary Don't You Weep" (Springsteen style).
• Went through Conti flashcards prior to band rehearsal.
• Had some trouble with the flashcards wondering about their utility. Came to the conclusion that they will indeed be a valuable way learn to play in the chord melody style. Continue to have difficulty remembering them; but that's ok- I think it is time well spent. Making slow progress, but it is indeed progress.
• Continue to work on the Dorian Minor Scale in the Aebersold book one for guitar. Making slow progress, but it is indeed progress.
• Rehearsal for Easter Masses went ok.
• Another upcoming music project: Will be working with bass player and vocalist on two songs: A modern version of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back," and the Nora Jones version of the standard "The Nearness of You."
• Feeling like my illness has gone away; ready to get back on the exercise bike tomorrow.
Saturday, March 28, 2015
Friday, March 27, 2015
• Still not feeling well. Dropped off my guitar at a local music store because it seems like the toggle switch that changes pickups isn't working correctly. The store had so much cool stuff!
• Because I'm not feeling well I didn't think I'd possibly get to it, but I managed to get in some practice time with the Aebersold Book 1 scales as well as Conti flashcards. Finding it more helpful to use the flashcards with guitar in hand rather than just use the flashcards in isolation.
• Not something I would do on my own, but I'll be seeing the band "Death Grips" with my son in July. Oh my. He just read that post and accused me of being old!!! He'll get there!
Thursday, March 26, 2015
NOT IN ORDER (to be continued):
1) Jimmy Page
2) Charlie Christian
3) George Harrison
4) Keith Richards
5) Chuck Berry
6) Eric Clapton
7) Django Reinhardt
8) Scotty Moore
9) James Burton
10) Peter Frampton
11) Peter Townshend
12) Jimi Hendrix
13) Brian May
14) Stevie Ray Vaughn
15) David Gilmore
16) Robert Johnson
17) Paul McCartney
18) Tiny Grimes
19) Bruce Springsteen
20) Steve Cropper
21) The Edge
22) Mick Taylor
23) John Lennon
• Again, just a little practice today of my Conti chord melody flashcards and my Aebersold Book 1 scales. Getting a little bit more learned of the minor scale.
• Due to recent illness, not feeling really up to getting back to exercising but I do not feel like this is a major setback (diet has took a hit, also). Slowly feeling better.
My mom passed away two years ago this past February, but today is her birthday. Happy Birthday, mom....
Here's a picture of mom and my son taken about 15-16 years ago, or so.
I posted the picture before, but it's a good time to post it again:
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
• Worked on the various configurations of the Major scale in Abersold's book 1. I may need to revisit them in the future, but for now I think I need to move on to the minor scale in Aebersold's book 1.
• Worked on memorizing my Conti chord melody forms, using my Flashcards. Getting there, using a personalized system I'm developing as I go along.
Monday, March 23, 2015
• Yet another sick day. Went to see the doctor and was prescribed an antibiotic. Received Aebersold's second book in the mail.
• Worked on making flashcards to help help with ingraining chord melody material.
• Went on piano for a minute or so. I'll just say it's probably a good idea I'm sticking with guitar if you get my drift.