Thursday, July 30, 2015
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Sunday, July 26, 2015
• Haven't posted in a little bit so I figured I'd just "touch base." Everything musically for me is kind of in a state of flux these days with no real definite personal sense of purpose other than learning to use the Silver book to learn improv. I've been working o that stuff.
- Almost bought an Epiphone B.B. King guitar yesterday, but I decided against it.
- Must get back to exercise and diet.
- Still in the blues band as well as the jazz/rock and roll band.
Thursday, July 23, 2015
Every once in a while I don't know where I'm going with music. Moving now towards going back to the Sudnow Method (I love the sounds of solo piano more so than the sounds of solo guitar), and going back to the Marc Silver book with regards to guitar improv.
The Silver book is fun.
Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Sunday, July 19, 2015
Thursday, July 16, 2015
• Started preliminary work on the blues songs for the blues band with the other guitarist tonight. Looks like our first rehearsal will be in three days.
• Going to start working through a new guitar book: "GUITAR FRETBOARD FLUENCY / The Creative Guide to Mastering the Guitar" by Joseph Alexander, BA hons, Dip, HE
Tuesday, July 14, 2015
• Looks like I'm starting a Blues band, and these will be the first songs we'll be trying:
LITTLE WATER- "My Babe"
SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON- "Bring it on Home."
LITTLE MILTON- "I Can't Quit You Baby."
JIMMY REED- "You Got Me Dizzy"
JIMMY REED- "Little Rain"
MUDDY WATERS- "You Shook Me"
Saturday, July 11, 2015
• Had a chance today to listen to a bunch of music:
1) BAND OF GYPSIES / Jimi Hendrix
2) LAYLA AND OTHER ASSORTED LOVE SONGS / Derek and the Dominoes / (Eric Clapton)
3) WILLIE DIXON / Box Set / Assorted Artists
The SILVER MEDAL goes to the Hendrix album. He can really get his guitar to really sing and emote! Great stuff, even if it was a bit long!
The BRONZE MEDAL goes to the Clapton album. Just could not get into it. Some stuff was definitely good, but it just didn't touch my spirit as much as some other stuff I listened to today.
The easy winner of the GOLD MEDAL goes to the Willie Dixon box set. Wow! It was mostly by old electric blues that was just absolutely grooving. Muddy Waters and Bo Diddley were just two of the artists on it. So much groove in the music. And the guitar tones and sounds in general were so cool.
Friday, July 10, 2015
• Getting bored with piano. Will probably get back into guitar playing. Learning of improv using that jazz book, maybe songwriting, who knows?
• For a long time, I wanted to play piano in a restaurant setting. Now I'm thinking that such a gig would ultimately be a letdown. No one would listen anyway.
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Monday, July 6, 2015
Sunday, July 5, 2015
• Played repertoire, but most practice time today was spent with OVER THE RAINBOW.
• Some observations:
1) In voicing, stick with the dissonances for the most part. Learned this in playback of a recording I made of me playing part of RAINBOW.
2) The dissonance (in the dominants) sounds ok if I KNOW THE SONG SO WELL THAT I DON'T PAUSE DURING MY PLAY IN CERTAIN PROBLEMATIC SECTIONS!