Tuesday, April 15, 2014

It Don't Mean a Thing, (if it Ain't Got That Swing)

A surprisingly good day of practice. I received the Fewell book, and although some hunches were that it was too advanced for me, I dove in. Up to chapter two, and did some interested reading and practiced an exercise. Interesting how past experience with the Sudnow (piano) Method helps me understand somewhat better what is going on in the Fewell book.

I don't think I'm one to remember scales, and I might even rationalize my ignorance of them by suggesting that they don't quite sound musical, anyway. The Fewell book seems like something to try.

Went over my repertoire, and almost done with, and ready to record, the Gershwin tune. 

Made an interesting note today. I used to think that perhaps the old jazz of the '20s was my thing, and to an extent, it still is, when it comes to jazz genres that I enjoy. However, I may have underestimated just how much I love swing jazz. Folks like Benny Goodman and Charlie Christian. This kind of stuff to me is so cool. It moves in a soulful melodic way.

I'm just trying to keep this whole guitar learning stuff fun, and do not want it ruined with trying to learn every little thing.

Here's an enhanced pic of my guitar in a transition stage. Trying to make the pickguard look black: 





No comments: