Friday, July 8, 2016

Friday

Rode exercise bike for 1/2 hour. 

Ok so I figure I learned two (open) chords yesterday. I realize it will probably get confusing as I add on to my list of known chords, but I figure that I only have 34 chords left to go. Not going bad at this rate, but must stay patient. 

Learning them in the context of songs, I think, is important. That is, it's one thing to be able to play a chord. But I wouldn't say that playing a chord is playing music. 

Playing music would be the ability to move from chord to chord in a smooth way within the context of songs. Saying I "know" these two chords is a lot different from saying that I can smoothly play them one after the other, especially if you additionally take into account that in a song, there would be a melody note to accommodate.

Put in my 1/2 hour piano practice; now know the Dm, F, G7, and C chords (open). Starting out, things were a bit difficult, but practicing without mistakes, and relying on shapes seemed to settle things down, and facilitate learning. Interesting how utilizing some of Sudnow's and Swain's practice ideas was helpful. 

I'm learning the chords one at a time as they are presented in the Beatles song, translating the learned chords into learned chords with melody notes.

Chords Learned:
C
F
Dm
G7

No comments: