Thursday, July 2, 2015

Rainbow and Wedding and Sounds

• A short, but good piano practice time. A couple of my repertoire songs are getting frustrating but I'm working on that. I have two versions of OVER THE RAINBOW on sheet music. I'm finding that mixing the two arrangements is yielding the best result; this works well because both are in the key of Eb, and I don't like either in isolation. 
• The band and I have been practicing for a wedding gig to be held July 4th. We'll be playing two songs for a prelude to the service itself (guitar, harp, bass, and mandolin) and we'll be playing mostly jazz standards for the cocktail hour and possibly longer (two guitars, keyboards, drum). We'll be doing just a little singing; some guest performers will also join us.
• Been tempted to really play loud. Jimi Hendrix style. Voodoo cool funky artsy electric stuff. Would love to mix the melodic beauty and sounds of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper," Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland," Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon," Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" and Dylan's lyrical power and sounds of his cool bluesy sounds that he's been making about the last 20 years.

No comments: