Thursday, May 12, 2016

Thursday

Rode exercise bike for 1/2 hour. I lost 6 pounds since May 3rd; 30 pounds to go.

I'm mostly using the Marc Silver book in my journey to learning how to improvise. I continue to focus on trying to burn Patterns 2, 5, and to a lesser extent Parttern 3 in my memory. I'm continuing to use the song "Misty" as the framework for improvising. 

I'm finding that it really does take a lot of time (for me, anyway) to really have the patterns known to the extent that I can play them, twist them, and shape then at will in their various ways in which the notes can be combined. Learning the patterns for me is helped by playing them in the context of a song ("Misty"), as opposed to learning the patterns in isolation. 

Looking into the future, I am supposing that it will sound even cooler after I ingrained these patterns so much that I can move them around the guitar neck at will. 

No comments: