Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday Practice

Played with our keyboard player today, and I sure was not happy with how I sounded. Almost went to a different improv method. 
Took a long break and then I tried to improv over "Satin Doll" with the five patterns in front of me. And it sounded so much better.
The key to improv at this point for me, again, is this:

LEARN THE FIVE PATTERNS INSIDE OUT, BACKWARDS, FORWARDS, AND SIDEWAYS!!!!!

My improvs sound bad when I hit notes that do not belong in the patterns I am supposed to be playing.

Practice needed to get those patterns really a part of me.

Addendum: Kind of frustrated: Sent my improv to a friend. He said it was "very good," but from what he said as a whole didn't make me think it was as good as I thought it was. Tempted (a little) to just give up this improv stuff. Maybe just learn fingerpicking more, concentrate on acoustic stuff, or just do more of what I do best (rhythm, early rock and roll). 

On second thought who am I kidding? Of course I'll keep trying this improv stuff...
I do have fun with it, regardless of my limited skills at this time. 

But the thought of making an acoustic album of some sort using alternative tunings (like Nuck Drake's "Pink Moon" album) is still looming. 

Im not sure if I have the patience to learn fingerpicking the way it is supposed to be played, and I'm not really a fan of acoustic blues solo guitar. If I do indeed do more fingerpicking, it will not be expert sounding.

Listening to all of this self-criticism is making me just want to shut up and keep doing what I'm doing which is learn improv and explore musically want I want to explore musically and when I want to do it!!!!!

No comments: