Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Tuesday / He's Leaving Home / Piano Learning

Two days before we take my son to college.

Tried to practice piano today. Didn't go so great. All those chords to memorize. Experimented with Sudnow stuff and wasctempted to return to it.

Ok went back to piano and recorded a cover of me playing the Beatles' "She's Leaving Home" which is appropriate given that my son will soon go away to college. 

Here it is:


I think I just have to be more patient with the piano. This is a complicated skill for me that will take a lot of time. I'll stick with the Susman chords method. Playing a song solo style on the piano (or the guitar, for that matter) involves a lot more than just strumming chords in the background on a guitar to back up another instrument. And Each Song Takes Time. Ironically, "She's Leaving Home" was the first song that I voiced on my own using the Sudnow Method.

I think (for me, anyway) it would be helpful to strike a balance between chord memorization and playing songs. I think too much of either, or using one of them while  excluding the other isn't helpful for me. 

As I read somewhere, it's like learning a language. If I was to learn French, but only used French words (or, in my piano learning, just chords), I wouldn't communicate too well. Likewise, learning sentences and paragraphs (or measures and songs in my piano learning), wouldn't be too easy or meaningful if I struggled over how to say each word. This is I think how it works best for me, anyway, not sure about everyone else.

No comments: