Thursday, August 11, 2016

Thursday

Here is what I sent my piano buddy today in terms of my weekly progress:

FOUR THINGS:

1) Well I remember hearing that in piano learning, sometimes the learning kind of goes slow. Well that's ok. I continue to practice daily with varying amount of minutes put in. But that's key: some quality practice daily, even if very little. I'm progressing, but slowly at this point. And that's ok! The piano is a long term thing, and it'll be worth it to hang in there. I'm up to page 33 in the first Swain book, and I continue to try to get those open chords in my hands memorized. He has some pieces to play in which the new chords are used with melody notes and instead of memorizing the pieces, I think I have a fairly good idea when it's time to move on. Here's the chords I know now (some better than others!): 
Ab7, F#7, Cmaj7, Dm7, Em7, G7, C6, Fmaj7, Cm7, C7, C, Am, Ebmaj7, Gm7, Fm7, F7, Ab, Bbmaj7, Bb7.
Just trying to implant them in my hands and fingers.

2) This week I played around with the saxophone. Was toying with maybe buying a sax and taking it more seriously but decided to just let it go. Can't really do sax AND piano with my limited time, and the piano wins. I can always borrow (a friend's) sax if the urge strikes again.

3) Was briefly toying around with getting into fingerstyle guitar (again). But as with the sax, piano wins again.

4) This one should take a LONG TIME: Trying to save money for a really quality acoustic guitar. I know how to play guitar ok, and this will be more for just enjoyment, and who knows what else?!

Addendum: For a long time, I've wanted to make an album of just me and an acoustic guitar. Think Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" album and Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" album. 

No comments: