Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Tuesday

Here is a pic of my youngest ready for her first day of High School today:


After a piano lull, I went back to the piano today and "The Christmas Song."  I think in order to make this work, I have to make a point of learning the chords in the tune and mastering the chords in the tune before attempting the tune. 

I am learning the song; but that's just the problem; I don't want to learn just the song, but I want to have chords ingrained  in my brain. That's where I made a mistake in the past; focusing on the song only. Now this approach may not work for everyone, but I find that although it is laborious, it may yield the best results for me over time if I focus on learning chords.

I must learn the chords, learn the chords, and learn the chords, so they can be ingrained. The more they are ingrained, the easier it gets to play songs in the future (for me, anyway).

New Practice Regimen:

So practice time should be split into threse sections to be used when applicable: 
1) Review repertoire
2) Review old chords as listed on my chord chart
3) Learning new chords as presented in a song. When the new chords are learned, and them to my chord chart and add #4 below:
4) Practice the new song. When it feels somewhat comfortable, add a new song.

No comments: