Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cool Book

"Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner.

The artist's job is to bypass everything that the world tries to complicate our lives with: TV, sugar, and especially the critical mind that works against the artist's work. That critical mind says stuff like: "I'm not good enough," "I have to be perfect," "Because I stink at this, my practice will reflect my mediocrity," "I'll never be as good as ______ (fill in the blank)."

There is kind of two processes that go on with the artist and those who view or hear his/her work:

Within the Artist
1) We bypass the critical mind by focusing on what's important. (What's important is practicing). By tuning out the nonimportant stuff, we tap into something so much more wonderful.

Within the Audience
2) The audience thus is moved to also tap into something much more wonderful than everyday existence.

We are thus playing for God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are still playing piano. Are we going to hear any submissions to the ABF Piano Bar, Recital or Beatles thread from you in the near future?