Monday, July 26, 2010

Patience, Patience, PATIENCE ! ! !

Patience is needed for this piano stuff. Simple but true. Trying to figure out what to practice takes patience. Patience needed playing songs and then forgetting them. Patience when my fingers don't get the idea. Patience with learning and then forgetting scales. Patience needed when things get forgotten. Today, I worked on some songs. Patience needed there. Learning a song isn't like making a painting, to me, anyway. When a painting is finished, we can stand back and enjoy it forever. But learning to play a song is different. I have learned songs, they have sounded nice, and sure i can have them recorded, but then I FORGET HOW TO PLAY THEM ! ! I'm going back and forth between the Harrison book and song learning...

1 comment:

all ways looking said...

Hey Billy!

Just found your blog today. I'm a one-year beginner who bounced from method to method this past year (yea, I tried Sudnow) and, for now have settled on using two methods: Rocket Piano and Alfred's Book 1. These two seem to go hand-in-hand pretty well as they move at through complimentary material at the same pace. Rocket Piano emphasizes the interval approach which I really enjoy. As a supplement I'm using Pam Wedgewood's Easy Jazz Series as Jazz is my primary focus.

It's been enlightening as well as supportive for me in reading your journey. I'll be sure to stayed tuned.