Sunday, April 3, 2011

Where I'm At

Piano-wise, I'm going to try something.
Yes, its unorthodox, but at this point I don't care about being unorthodox. I'm using as a role models people like Thelonious Monk, Louis Armstrong, and anyone else who just had the guts to go where their spirit is taking them musically.

I love the piano ballad, but played in the Sudnow, Bill Evans, George Shearing kind of way. Kind of blending dissonant notes with beautiful melodies. I'd like to keep doibg my learning how to do that, and I am learning not to care about folks not really caring for either me focusing on ballads or the dissonance I like. And I also want to lrarn it my way. Blending the Sudnow Methhod with learning put of context (memorizing shapes of chords out of context). I know I've kind of tried this before, but I'd lime to try it again, but with more confidence.

In that vein, I've been focusing on memorizing the mosy widely used major chords.

No comments: