Saturday, December 10, 2011

December 10, 2011

Been all over the wilderness trying to learn the piano. Decided to use 2012 to learn Allan Swain's Methods. He has two books that teach chords; open positions.

It seems like most of this blog has been devoted to me using the Sudnow Method. For me, I want to learn how to learn songs from fakebooks that take somewhat quicker for me to learn than using the Sudnow Method. And I don't want to play songs constantly in order to remember them, and that has been my experience with the Method. For me, anyway, I just don't remember songs easily using the Sudnow Method. If I don't play them often, I lose them. Other folks might have better luck than me. That whole paragraph is just my opinion of my own frustration with the Method, and again, others may have great experiences with the Method because their goals differ from mine. My goal is to be able to play a lot of songs quicker without the constant repitition that I seem to need utilizing the Method. I have learned a lot from the Method, may go back to it, or at the very least continue to utilize things I've learned feom the Method in my play.

I'm sure you have heard tge saying, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime." For me, in my humble opinion, the Sudnow Method gave me fish (taught me songs). But perhaps using and committing to the Swain method might teach me HOW to fish.

So while reserving my right to change my mind yet again, I'm going to try to commit 2012 to learning the Swain methods.

1 comment:

Flower4554 said...

Hi,
Good to hear your progress and how your going about learning the piano. I too have been seriously studying and playing the piano for 7 years. 100's of books, dozens of DVDs, at least 12 online courses, Countless hours watching U-tube- average of 2-3 hours daily practice, bi- weekly lessons. I'm 49 and I dont know why I spent so much of my life doing this. I'm still having fun and wake up everyday thinking about new techniques I'm going to use or try. Ive discovered some really helpful things along the way and- honestly- could write a book on the process of an adult learning the piano.
Last year, I dedicated myself to being able to play lead sheets and improvise. I can do this now although I'm always seeking to improve. I have the gest and can play fairly well using basic chord changes. I memorized Down in the Valley, You are my Sunshine and Autumn leaves- major accomplishments for me, a few weeks ago.
Checkout Rosas Piano Course- major, major kick start to playing lead sheets. I bought every one of her courses. Willies Jazz lessons - buy the best membership plan- very professional jazz instruction. I joined for a year and learned so much. The technical jazz standards are obtainable with his careful instruction. I'm looking forward to signing up again. Lead sheets and pop piano from Bill Hinton on U- tube. Mark Harrison- some more advanced licks on U tube- pop, blues, jazz. Edward Weiss for New Age music and song structure improvisation.
Best fake books to start with are the ones from "My First Fake Book". These fake books are in C, have the lyrics under the melody line and simple chord changes. I have almost all the book in the series. The songs are fun to play and you'll sound pretty good right from the get go.
Now that I can play lead sheets, I'm going to start working more on my technical skills including scales and touch and rhythm. I'm half way through Alfreds Adult Piano Course #3. This is the last book. Book 2 took 3 years and this one will take longer. I hope not much longer. I started out thinking I could get where I wanted in 4 years. Obviously I was way off. 10 years maybe more accurate?

There are local musicians at a local coffe shop who get together and and jam once a month on Sunday afternoon. I went to one of their jam sessions. They play a lot of folk songs and in G. I've been doubling up on my practice ever since. I hoping next month to sit in with them. Hence my memorization of the afore mentioned tunes. There might be something like that in your area, or you could start something like that. I found them by going to a Friends of Folk Concert held at a local church. Your world expands when you take time and energy to network. I'm sure you know that since your blogging.

Connie

My email is

thecrew4554@yahoo.com