Sunday, October 14, 2012

More thoughts (thanks Louis Armstrong)

I always wondered why rock stars want to be movie stars. And why movie stars want to be rock stars. I'm not "tooting my own horn" here, but I'm much better on guitar than I am on piano. But I'm drawn more to the piano. I feel more creative there. And I like the sounds that come out of a piano more than I like guitar sounds. And I really love beautiful piano ballad playing most. That's why the Sudnow Method continues to draw me in. It focuses me on ballad play, but with such sophisticated sounds that don't sound babyish. I guess for me to continue to make music, I'm coming to some kind of understanding. I don't think I can give up piano, because it just feels like its part of what I'm about. Funny that I don't feel that way about the guitar. The guitar is more like a fun thing for me whereas the Sudnow piano stuff gets closer to my soul. Like I said before, I have a friend (who is much better than I on piano) keep urging me to play songs that aren't just ballads. But I draw inspiration from people like Louis Armstrong and Thelonious Monk who played music they loved THEIR way.

No comments: