Sunday, May 5, 2013

Django, Louis, me, and melodies and improvisations

His name means "I awake." Ahhh, to be able to improvise music like Django did...and seeming effortlessly. The ability to translate emotions, the spirit of God, and one's very soul into an improvised musical statement is to me such a worthwhile goal. That ability to improvise, or compose and play immediately has for such a long time been a desire of mine. For a while there, i was interested in playing ballad piano
melodies using the Sudnow voicings. But now, having the ability to communicate that which can never quite be communicated verbally in such a way as in utilizing that transcendent and spiritual vehicle called musical
improvisation is such a goal
of mine. Speed of play as well as technical prowess never really impressed me. What gets to me is the power of a beautiful melody. Louis Armstrong, for example. And Django did it with just two fingers. The beauty of the playing for me outshines technical prowess or speed. I could care less how high a note someone can hit or how fast he or she might play. But the ability to improvise a melody is just amazing.

No comments: