Saturday, September 20, 2014

Gig Day / Health

Will be playing a gig today with the rock & roll band at a car show; we will have a jar set up for donations to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The set lists will be similar to the September 13 post below. Some notable exceptions are that we added some songs switching our bass player to saxaphone on "Tequilla," "Sleepwalk," and "Honky Tonk / pt. 2." 

Another very notable exception involving me is that we added a medley of "Mona/Not Fade Away." For years I have been a gigantic fan of Bruce Springsteen's versions of this medley where he utilizes these tunes and others that have this "Bo Diddley beat" which lead to Bruce's "She's the One." "She's the One" is the first Bruce song I really liked. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of the Bo Diddley beat, and I am very much looking forward to doing this stuff!

Got some scary health news the other day which I'll try to summarize in the "short version" here. Having an MRI of my next this week to see if I have a certain health condition. If I don't have the condition, then ok. If I do have the condition, and I do NOT have surgery, then I can expect to eventually get paralyzed and end up in a wheelchair. This news stunned me, but then when I had a chance to think about it more, what it comes down to is a win-win situation: if I don't have the condition, then great! And if I do have the condition, then that's actually fine because surgery will stop the progression of the condition! Actually found out that our drummer had surgery for the same exact issue and it turned out just fine.

I told my wife about this issue a couple days ago when I found out, and I was pretty shook up. Told my kids yesterday, and wow, my 17 year old son was so great about it.  (The younger kids were too, but I told them all late at night and my younger ones were just going to bed).  My son actually asked how I was doing with it, told me I can talk to him about it, knew sonething was wrong when I talked to wife the other day alone, asked if I wanted to watch a movie with him, and treated me late last night to some fast food. So proud of him!

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to today's gig and hopefully people will show up, actually listen to us and do some dancing, and will make some cash for the Make-A-Wish folks. If you have read this post and are a believer in God, I'd appreciate some prayers for the health stuff; thanks!!!!!

No comments: