Tuesday, October 20, 2015

On "Methods" (with regards to learning improvisation)

That's it! There. I've said it. NO MORE METHOD Books! Or DVDs! No more!! I got yet another book recently and it ain't no help. 

Tried some things today. Tried a minor scale from one book. Sounded nice. Looked at the major scale in another book. Ok. Thought of keeping it simple by using the pentatonic scales only. Or some combinations. But decided to STOP the silliness. 

I'm on information overload right now and I think it's time to step back and stop making it more complex than it needs to be.

What I need to do is play music more and keep using what has always been a great source for me: The Marc Silver book. It's all there for me if I will just get to know the stuff in there better. Learn it. I don't mean have a cursory knowledge of it. I MEAN LEARN IT AND INGRAIN IT. It's really so elegant and I just have to INTERNALIZE the information more. I don't even know if I need to go through the whole book. But if I internalize the stuff I know already, I think that can take me pretty far. 

Will really try to internalize the material that I know from the book already. 

No comments: