Sunday, November 12, 2023

Sudnow Piano

Working on “All the Things You Are” mostly using the Sudnow Method. Must say that I am absolutely enthralled by the music that materializes as a result of the Sudnow Method. It just keeps drawing me back. In this tune, I’m also using a “closed voicing” for a particular Bbm7 chord. Maybe I’m about halfway done with this tune. I don’t think I’ll use the “Method” for the whole song; may use some regular chords. 

Just thinking out loud here. Why get another piano course?? This is how I want to sound. For songs that need less color tones, I can always just use “less color tones.” Wouldn’t it be great to work on this challenge: figure out one song per week. Try to keep at least three ready to play at all times; using sheet music or not. 

But I wonder what will happen if I work on one per week… Some guidelines:

1. Keep three in hand at all times even if using sheet music to look at while playing…

2. It is likely that some  of the songs learned will not exclusively use the Sudnow Method. Will not be held to a perfectionistic expectation of just using his stuff. The emphasis will be on balancing:

Sudnow’s Method with Sounding Good.

3. Learn the closed voicings.

In the past, I focused on using his method about 99% of the time for each song, and I’m not sure that was the best idea. Here I’ll focus on using the method as a foundation for the songs, but understanding that there are other ways of sounding good.




No comments: