Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Improvisation

• Rode the exercise bike for 1/2 hour today. 
• Interesting day for improvisation work. Instead of trying to follow instructions "to the t" (which I tried today), it seemed to actually sound better when I used the 5 Silver patterns in key with the tune I was playing. Just staying in the main key of the song (even if the song changed keys) didn't sound too bad!! (Of course I did have to change somewhat during the middle part of the song ["Over the Rainbow"]). Just following the patterns, mostly in the key of Eb, and using my ear, went well. 
• I am not done the Silver book yet; it has  some more sections. After the book, I may go back to the Ellis book to try to get that bluesy sound.
• I can also intersperse Silver's five patterns with my prior knowledge of the pentatonic scale in my improvisations.
• Making progress by being flexible!

No comments: