Friday, January 16, 2009

Day 29

Up to page 85 of the Method Book.

I've decided to take the following approach:

1) I'm going to use the following book: "How to Play From a Fake Book" by Michael Esterowitz.
I'm using this book because I want to learn how to play songs. All kinds of songs. Beatles, Elton, Billy Joel, Jazz, etc., etc. The Sudnow method, which can be used to play songs from a fake book, is cool, but I'd like to learn a more traditional approach at this time. Then in the future I can add those Sudnow voicings in songs and parts of songs where I think it'd be appropriate to how I'd like to express the song.

2) I'll continue to keep working on the Alfred Method Book series.
I'm doing this for a couple of reasons:
First, I'd like to learn how to play music that's already written out. I have heard some classical and other piano pieces that would be very nice to play. They are pieces that I wouldn't quite characterize as being songs, but rather as pieces that are melodic and beautiful. I don't have aspirations of playing extremely complex stuff, but I'd sure like to play some pieces that just might be within my reach after completing the Alfred series.
Secondly, I think that the method book stuff will help teach me how to get around the piano.

Up to page 9 of the Fake Book Method.

No comments: