Monday, May 30, 2011

POP PIANO / Memorial Day / New Direction

Ok, so I've been all over the place with learning methods, and even tempted to sell the ole 88 keys.... But I think I'll make another effort. Started to read a book about Billy Joel, and got psyched again. Been thinking I'm a bit too old for the rock and roll guitar thing, but will stay in the band and play blues and some other stuff.

Been all over the place with ehat I should do musically....
Get a new guitar? Learn my scales on guitar? Concentrate on the blues on guitar?

Was losing enthusiasm for music after what I felt was a less than stellar performance by me yesterday at practice.

Would like to get back to the piano, but less than enthused with the prospect of memorizing tunes.

Decided to get back into Mark Harrison's "The Pop Piano Book" in a pretty serious way. Made a packet of stuff to go through, focusing on material like scales and diatonic scale triads. Will try to go through a key a week, at least, using some of David Sudnow's ideas on practicing. Hey, that Sudnow stuff will also come in handy later... Would really like to play on the fly from fakebooks, but not sound elementary. Maybe if I keep at it, using the Harrison book, I can learn some stuff to sound pretty good. Want to play more popular oriented sounds. I have a friend who can play what I'm after....

Perhaps if I focus more on learning outside of the context of songs for awhile I can come closer to the sounds I'm after....

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I am enjoying reading your piano blog.
Keep up the blogging and piano practice. :)

Wow, playing two instruments sounds great. How do you find the time to learn both?

Hmm, I'm not good with fakebooks, but it's one of my goals too and my approach will be to make sure I know the chords, can make all the small changes to them like change to minor, diminished, add 7ths, 9th, 13ths and to be able to play them in all inversions.

Then after being familiar with the chords, start playing them as broken chords in various patterns/orders while sight reading the melody.

It sounds easy but it's pretty difficult for me too.