Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Sudnow Method

Back again to the Sudnow Method.

Doing it a little different this time around....

1) Will work on one song at a time, but will stay at the song for much longer than I did previously, to get it to sound RIGHT.

2) I'm using Sudnow's Dot Book, for now, anyway. Maybe the next song I'll voice, but I want a little different direction at this point, so I'll use his wonderful arrangements. For now, I'm working on "All the Things You Are." What I'm doing is writing down his fractions on a lead sheet so that I'm not just using dots. He has what seems to be some cool ideas as he talks about the arrangement verbally as well as on the written page.

3) Thinking of continuing to pound those major scales in my brain. I got the paths down pretty darn good, but its still a challenge to QUICKLY get to some scale degrees.

4) As I'm typing this, I realize I may not work on memorization as that seemed to lead to frustrationville. Will just work on getting a lot of songs down that I can do with the lead sheet as a cheatsheet. It seems to me that perhaps a lot of memorization might come as a result of doing it this way, because the focus will be on not moving on until a song sounds really good. Really good.

No comments: