Sunday, December 15, 2013

Improvisation

Still wonder the best method(s) to use to learn improvisation. Scales? Learning by methods that emphasize imitation? Learning patterns? Using a novel approach? I am such a sucker for buying different methods and books. I do have the Mickey Baker book and I'm thinking of just using that instead of looking for yet another method.

Who are the improvisers I most admire? Louis Armstrong. Charlie Christian. Benny Goodman. The guys who are melodic in their solos. I don't enjoy improvisations that are not melodic.  I can't imagine that the guys who I mentioned sat down and learned scales and modes. They had to have the Desire, Dedication, and Enthusiasm to spend time with their instruments and learn on their own using their ear and their time to find out how they can translate their inner selves to musical ideas as expressed on their instruments.

No comments: