Thursday, February 6, 2014

Interesting (Part 2)

• Practiced Over the Rainbow
• Practiced Misty, and added some more to what I knew. I think it's ok to not to concentrate too much on knowing the Assembly Line chord forms in order; I think it's more important to play them in the context of songs.
• Worked on the Charlie Christian song "Six Appeal" adding some more to what I knew. I'm up to the second chord pattern, and that is taking some getting used to. 
• Experimented. Recorded some background chords to Misty and Over the Rainbow, and tried playing some improv using scales. It didn't sound too bad! Now thinking of including scales in my learning.
• Some time ago, I purchased on kindle the book: "Building the Better Guitar Scale" by Michael Pillitiere. I decided this book to my practice routine. Why? Well I have a great scale book, but it seems to me that learning all those scales up and down the guitar neck will quickly get frustrating. The Pillitiete book might be a way of simplifying scale learning. And taken in combination with the Charlie Christian book, I might be utilizing two great methods/learning materials in the effort to create solos that are self expressive. The lead style of Charlie Christian is just so appealing to me. To me, his leads are melodic, funky, and swing in such a way that is so appealing that I can't see giving up learning from that book. But by using the Pillitiere book, I can add another diminsion to the stuff I am learning from the Charlie Christian book.

No comments: