Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thinking Out Loud

Sometimes, ok, a lot of times, I think of changing method books. I try to stick to something, then I inevitably change. I have to be discerning because the time that I devote to practicing is so limited. 

Well maybe that's an issue right there. It might be possible to find more time, but I doubt it.

Been wondering today if the answer isn't to use just one method. (Currently using one method to learn chord melody and one method to learn improv). 

I know that I have found the right method to learn chord melody (the Conti materials). 

But perhaps I should use a number of methods simultaneously to learn improv and just do a little of each one daily. I like the Fewell book that I am currently using.

However, looking ahead in the Fewell book, there is A LOT to digest. Instead of just focusing on that (which would involve one bit of learning) maybe I can do a little of that book with a little of the Alexander book ("Fundamental Changes in Jazz Guitar") or something else to avoid burnout and increase variety and fun.

No comments: