Friday, October 13, 2017

The Zone

I played the piano tonight and I went into “the zone.” A place where self-criticism of my play quiets down, where I just seem to be kind of immersed in what I’m doing just for the sake of doing it. Just played “Yesterday” over and over ... never mastering it, yet immersed in it. I even added a little bit into it that was a reference to “Strawberry Fields Forever” (my favorite song). 
Constructive criticism: focus more on keeping a regular beat. On time. Go for quality. 

Also started a different piano program too tonight and will see where that might lead me while I work on perfecting “Yesterday.” 

Played a little guitar also, trying to work on the five Improvisation shapes and relate them to a major key. Will probably try to do a bit more Improvisation during Christmas shows this year. Speaking of which, band practice for the Christmas season starts tomorrow.

No comments: