Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sudnow

I think I need to stick with one course. Didn't have much luck today trying a different method. Suffice it to say, although there may be many roads that lead to Rome, all the roads to me seem to require effort, concentration, and most of all perseverance. I haven't found a road yet that does not require perseverance. In sum, the piano is difficult to me, and for me, yet again, instead of wasting time trying to find an easier road, time is better spent practicing!

So I am back with the Sudnow method (sudnow.com). I voiced the song "Solitude," and I'll put it on line here after its polished.

I'd like to be able to play "on the fly" from a fakebook.
I'd like to play by ear, taking requests.

So its a tension I have between these two goals. Eventually, the Sudnow method is suppossed to help an individual play be ear. The sounds attained by this method are also wonderful. So perhaps I'll get to attaing both goals sticking with the Sudnow method. The fake book chords really might be better, also, than the ones I'd come up utilizing play by ear methods.

I think that I need to stick to one course and let it go at that. Perhaps I get caught up too much in finding the best (or easiest) piano method that I lose the sight of playing the piano!

So I'll stick with Sudnow. But if I get tempted to try to find an easier technique, I'll see that more as a sign that I need to practice more, and less as a correct hunch that I need to go technique shopping!

No comments: