Friday, October 16, 2009

d e t o u r

Here’s the scoop. I’ve decided to stop using the Sudnow Method, at least for now. I’ve learned a lot with the Method, but I’ve decided to try out some of Alan Swain’s material at this time. I believe with Alan’s Method, there may be more of a utilization of what may be limited memorized open voicings for chords, rather than the learning of a number of clusters which seems to be emphasized with the Sudnow method. Of course, I may be wrong in my description of these methods, so don’t take my impressions as being exact goals of either approach. However, I think it may be more beneficial for me in my learning to try the Swain ideas….

Realizing that there is no one method that is the “Single Best Way” is something of a theme that has run through this blog. But I think the Swain stuff is worthy of a good try at this point in my learning…

Tonight I played a little fakebook Beatles stuff, and played some Sundow stuff....

Who knows, this detour may take me right back to the Sudnow Method.

To be continued….

1 comment:

Swingin' Barb said...

What a piano journey. I'm still enjoying the ride.