Wednesday, October 28, 2009

That detour led to a familiar place.....

Since my goal is to play on the fly from fakebooks, I'm going to concentrate just on voicing songs the Sudnow way, with a little stride thrown in every once in awhile. I'm going back to the Sudnow approach because I think it minimizes memorization. And since I hate memorization, bu realize that some of it is necessary, I'll go back to a Method that minimizes such.

But here's how I'll differ from my last venture into Sudnowville:
1. No writing down stuff. Just learn as doing, since this is the skill I hope to be good at.
2. Slow is OK, but I won't move on to another song until the previous song is able to be played on time. I'll allow myself to look at the lead sheet as I play, since again, that's the skill I want to be good at.
3. Then ditch the song. Won't memorize it. Can always go back to it. If I have to figure out the voicings again, tough! That's what I'll be doing reading on the fly anyway!
4. Use some of my memory startegies if helpful.

In a nutshell, using Sudnow ideas:
1) Its most fun and rewarding for me at the piano when I learn and hear the clusters and how those clusters combine in songs.
2) What's not fun and rewarding to me is memorizing.
3) Soooooo, I'll voice one song at a time, realizing it may be a struggle as the song gets more and more measures, but I think by doing it this way I am minimizing memorization but maximizing learning (the Sudnow way of learning in the context of my goal [playing from a fakebook]). And I'm minimizing more the frustration I feel in memorizing by not forcing myself to have X number of songs memorized.

No comments: