Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 17, 2012

Started work, I think it was pretty recently, on Autumn Leaves (AL). I've really been playing ATTYA a lot, and its sounding really nice. So nice, in fact, that I am concerned that I might forget it or at least play it more jumbled as I add new songs to the repertoire.

I think the answer to this dilemma, again, is found in the mantra: Slow Dow.

No race to the finish line. Whether it be an internal race to 'get the song learned quickly' or even an internal race to 'get as many songs learned as possible quickly' I think the race aspect may have caused me trouble in the past.

So I think what I have to do, which might slow me down in the short run though yield good results, is continue to perfect the songs I know as part of each practice session.

"The joy of the moment can be experienced at any stage of learning. We need only to recognize when we are guided away from ourselves by standards of performance based on comparison with others, or by the need of approval and recognition for accomplishment."
-Mildred Portney Chase, in: Just Being at the Piano

So, the lesson is to experience joy in each little part learned In The MOMENT (whether it be even one added cluster on a Sudnow song, or even one measure, or even in perfecting/remembering/going over a previously learned song) rather than in some imagined global end point.

No comments: