Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Some goals

Here's what I posted recently on the Sudnow Forum:

NEW LONG TERM GOAL:
Have a number of songs that I can play that could last a few hours in a performance, say, in a restaurant gig!

SHORT TERM GOALS THAT CAN ULTIMATELY LEAD TO ACCOMPLISHING THE LONG TERM GOAL:
Well, my old goal was learning to play on the fly from fakebooks. But I'm changing the goal. Success now would be defined NOT in terms of how many songs I have MEMORIZED (always frustrating to me), nor will it be defined as the ability of playing requests ON THE FLY from fakebooks...
Rather.....if I can bring a binder of prelearned leadsheets of songs to a gig, and can play them while peeking at the sheets, and they sound reasonably on time and perfect, well, thats success for me.

So my short term (more managable) goal is to simply amass a number of lead sheets (including fractions) of well voiced songs that I can play well.

STRATEGIES:
1) Learn one song at a time REALLY WELL. Will allow myself to peek at lead sheet.
2) Using my own voicings, but...
3) ...also using Suds's voicings in his Dot Books. I'm currently working on his arrangement of "All the Things You Are," and figuring out his fractions that I'm copying to a lead sheet. Listening to him talk about his working of the songs is also cool.
4) Continuing to get those scales pounded in my brain and fingers. I got them down mostly OK, but I continue to struggle with seeing scales degrees quickly.
5) Keep reviewing songs that I'm adding to my binder.
Recently added today:
6) Minimize the use of arpeggios that in the past I utilized to cover up my shortcomings
An important one:
7) Approach each practice session with a goal for that particular session.

No comments: