Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 1, 2012

Happy May, everyone! Some complications are coming up that ultimately might be helpful in my piano learning, but they will be helpful, I think, only to the extent I keep my ultimate goal(s) in mind which include: amassing a large repertoire of songs that are not easily forgotten, as well as having them sound sophisticated with some dissonance, with possibly playing songs on the fly from Fakebooks an ultimate goal. Herein lies the complication: I think in order to sound a bit less dissonant (which might be a desirable thing at times), I might use some Sudnow ideas for some dominant chords, whereas my original plan was to use Moody clusters for dominants. I realized that dominants are simply majors with a b7. So for some dominants, I just might add a 9th along with the regular chord. It's all going to depend in the sound I want as well as ease of play. Trying it today with "All the Things You Are," and it's not really as easy as it sounds. I might find myself using mostly Sudnow ideas, but using Moody's when I want an extra dash of sweet dissonance [or when I can't utilize a Sudnowish cluster quick enough :)]. What might be helpful is making notations on lead sheets when I am to use what as reminders.

No comments: