Monday, August 20, 2012

Sudnow Method

On my travels yesterday I had a chance to listen again to my Sudnow Method CDs. And yes, I'm returning to his method. Some things I'll have to address, sooner or later, though: 1)Impatience. Impatience in trying to get a song learned quickly and recorded quickly so I can move on quickly. This impatience has resulted in songs played with pauses and hesitations that were ugly. SOLUTIONS: Dont let anyone hear any recordings for at least a year. Take your time. Do not move on to another song until the present song is practically perfect. And by practically perfect, I mean going at a pace that would be practically perfect too. Take your time with memorization. If it means putting off new songs, than put off new songs till later. No Rush.Do not worry about 'where will this lead me after 15 songs.'Just do it and we'll see later where it leads.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been involved with the Sudnow Method for nearly fifteen years and have been playing piano for over fifty years. The Sudnow Method was the most important and inspiring change to my piano playing that has ever occurred. Fortunately, I was able to spend time in my home with Mr. Sudnow several years before he died. He was an outstanding individual and a true genius. He made it very clear, in a nice way, that using your time wisely, focusing on his method, and practicing slowly without error was most important. Anything else was a waste. David was a great teacher. I think you have made a wise decision to concentrate with his methods. Hopefully you have a complete listing of all his dot songs (three books) and additional instructional aids. Best of luck and have fun. John Marshall