Friday, August 2, 2013

Back Home

     Back home after a very long drive from Virginia Beach. Nice vacation. On the way home just reviewed Conti stuff in my brain. Had some nice email exchanges with my piano buddy. Good to be home.

      Looks like there is a Gypsy Jazz gig on the horizon. Wish I had the time to practice not only from Conti's Assembly Line stuff but also his Ticket to Improv material.

       I became disenchanted with Gypsy Jazz. Started most recently when I heard a Django clone. Where's the originality? Then I guess I got disenchanted with it knowing all the work that I'd have to put into it....the chord melody stuff seems closer to my heart....kind of like the Sundow piano approach on guitar. 

      Used to really enjoy the Sudnow method, but in the end it seemed to be not the right thing for me. But I did take something from it, including the skill that given a period of time, I can probably play a standard in a way that utilizes great piano voicings.

          Au revoir la plage de Virginia

No comments: