Saturday, October 5, 2013

Guitar

Fairly good practice day. Getting ready for tomorrow's gig with the band. This band consists of me on vocals and guitar, another guitarist/vocalist, a drummer, two female singers ( who sound great on "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy!"), and a keyboardist/vocalist.

Continued practicing my friend's original song today, but didn't put as much time in it today as I did yesterday.  

Just some thoughts:

Tomorrow is my last gig in the band unless something comes up and they ask me to join and it's something I wouldn't mind doing. They are staying together, but the pop sound they are doing just isn't my thing at this time in my life. I asked them to get together for the gig tomorrow, it'll include a reunion concert for me but not a reunion tour!

It gets on my nerves when actors try to become musicians and vice versa. Why don't they just keep doing what they do best? Well, I think I know why. What comes most naturally to me is playing my acoustic and singing along. Just playing the acoustic comes somewhat natural. But I want to do other things!

Maybe an electric blues band?

Not sure if the Gypsy Jazz band I am in will stay together past our gig later this month. 

Will DEFINITELY stay with the Robert Conti learning stuff. Love the chord melody stuff; after I learn a number of songs and have more familiarity with the "Assembly Line" methodology, it'll be on to "The Formula," which apparently teaches how to make more sophisticated chord melody arrangements of songs. 

Still want to improvise better; still may get into the Conti "Ticket to Improv" material I have; there's also a book on Amazon that looks tempting.

No comments: