Sunday, February 26, 2017

Music

Up to page 19 in the piano book; much yet to review in this chapter, though. Struggled with trying to come up with a method (using a couple that  I have) of attempting to simplify the playing of chord melody guitar. Nothing there is clicking. I can play a song chord melody style, but it takes a lot of preparation and practice. 

Took my son on the long drive back to college today and really enjoyed his company! (Photos of us in his dorm room before I left him are below). Listened to some music in the car together including Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited," Boards of Canada, Fleet Foxes (Loved it!), some "Sgt Pepper" some "Five Leaves Left" by Nick Drake. The Dylan left me underwhelmed, though it was interesting to hear my son discussing Dylan's lyrics. I really should listen to more Nick Drake than just the "Pink Moon" album that I have. The Fleet Foxes really impressed me.

I started my ride home listening to some Bill Evans, Art Tatum, and Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. I was not really getting into any of it, except the Bill Evans. I couldn't get far into listening to any of it, except I did play the Bill Evans CD straight through. I'm just not a fan of nonmelodic stuff or what sounds to me anyway, of mere technical prowess. 

Then I started listening to some cool music I saved on my phone.  I played "LJ Plays the Beatles" by Laurence Jubar and loved it. Imagine driving home with a huge sun setting and hearing "Here Comes the Sun" played by Juber kick in. 

Needless to say, the thought of me playing fantastic piano or fantastic guitar after hearing this stuff sure entered my mind....

But that's ok. I'll continue to work on mostly the piano book. Not going to complicate things by working on guitar chord melody.

As I approached home, I started blasting some great music! I BLASTED parts of "Trampled Underfoot," "Kashmir," and "Custard Pie" off of Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" CD. Even got in some Rolling Stones: "Slave" (oh man, that 7th chord in there right before the sax solo is Rock & Roll heaven!), "Bitch," and lastly, some of "Moonlight Mile."

Now, time for bed. Hoping that LaLa Land wins for Best Movie and a bunch of Oscars tonight.

 

 




No comments: