Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 28, 2012

The piano is a very difficult instrument for me to play. I want to play material on the fly from fake books, but it just hasn't clicked. I was just about ready to give up yesterday. The most recent course I purchased just hasn't clicked for me. Perhaps it would for others. Perhaps it's best suited to a player with much more experience than myself.

So where does this leave me?

I just could not seem to remember songs utilizing the Sudnow Method. The Method Book stuff, was Ok if I wanted to read music, but at this stage of life I think I just want to play songs. The Moody stuff sounded too dissonant to my ears. Other methods haven't clicked either.

Frustrating as that has been, it's ok. I can still use what I picked up in these methods in play.

I am moving more towards using Alan Swain's methods again. Here is a method that appears to me to use memorization. That'll be hard work, but like I said at the beginning of this post, piano is difficult for me. To assume there is a simple way to learn what I want to do is naive on my part. Will just have to do the work to get where I want to be. And be committed to the work.

No comments: