Saturday, March 25, 2017

360

A musical learning experience day:
1) Tried to play songs using the chords I supposedly knew.
2) Failed miserably
3) Thought of going back to a previous piano method.
4) Took out my guitar and decided to quit piano and stick to guitar
5)  Changed my mind and decided to persevere with the piano. A full 360, you see.

But I can't just learn 36 chords and expect to be able to play songs easily. Nope. There is a LOT more grunt work to do. A LOT more sweat to sweat. What I have to do is to really take my time with this method book even if it means years. It's that simple, yet that difficult. 

It's not a matter of learning 36 chords. It's a situation where I need to learn the INVERSIONS of these chords as well. That's 108 chord positions I need to have in my fingers. It's also a matter of doing what the book tells me to do in terms of learning other things.

In the past, I have been totally dismayed in my efforts to learn inversions. But it's time to really move beyond my fear of them. And it's also time to really move beyond my fear of learning other piano related stuff. The idea of "I'll never be able to remember all of this," has to be replaced with the idea that "I have no idea if I can learn all of this material because I never really took the time needed to try; and I'm going to give it the time now."

Not
Giving
Up

No comments: