Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Music. Dylan

Still trying to figure out where I am in the world of music....jazz guitar?....piano?.......songwriting?......electric guitar my way?.....acoustic blues guitar? 

I have been listening to some later Bob Dylan and the man is just amazing to me. His attitude in his songs, and those LYRICS! "Thunder on the Mountain" and "Levee's Gonna Break"have such a cool feel! His phrasing of words is also great. Excluding the Sinatra material that I haven't really gotten into, and excluding the "Under the Red Sky" album, I really like his style since the "Oh Mercy" album. His style has evolved into something of a wise old bluesman playing roots rock & roll, ballads, and blues. I remember ice reading somewhere that in "Exile on Main Street" the Rling Stones used all of their influences and made something original. Well that's what I think Dylan has been doing. Just listen to "Time Out of Mind." Great stuff.

And I haven't even mentioned his stuff from the 1960's! I really like his bootleg series package that deals with his "Self-Portrait" phase. The songs this man knows!!! 

I saw him live a couple of times and I remember not being very impressed. Specifically, I saw him while "Oh Mercy" was released. I remember over hearing a member of the audience saying something about well, I guess the producer had a lot to say about the songs sounding so good on the album (because they didn't sound good live). 

But he is living his life as an artist. 
A true poet that hasn't blown it.

No comments: