Sunday, August 13, 2017

Weighing Options

Well it looks like I may go back to a book I used awhile back: "Jazz Improvisation For Guitar: A Melodic Approach," by the late Garrison Fewell. We had some email correspondence in the past.
My knowledge of music theory is limited. That may be a reason why I did not continue with the book in the past. It was out of my league, over my head, etc. But I didn't know it at the time. At the time, the book just wasn't working for me. 
Since that time, though, I've gotten to know more about theory (especially chord progressions, solos based on progressions, no need to just play the notes of a given framework only). So I think I'm going to try the book again. 
There was a book I had that teaches Swing Guitar, but I don't think it will give what I'm looking for. The Fewell book will be very challenging (for me, anyway).  Looks like I will need to be patient! 
I would still like to use the chord melody book that I have. 
Now, all these plans will be tossed if I decide to enroll in the followup course offered by my teacher of my Jazz Guitar course which I completed. I'm feeling like I want to have "a go" on my own, at this point, though.
I signed up for a short lesson via computer technology with the teacher, and that will happen on August 22. I think the idea is that he will be giving me ideas on how I could improve (from what he's heard me play). I think it'll be a good idea to bring a list of questions for him. 
Straightened out a part of my home so it could be used as a place for me to feel more comfortable reading and practicing. 

No comments: